The importance of the town's position on the two roads which crossed Dartmoor meant that by the 18th century Moretonhampstead had as many as 18 public houses. Today Moreton has fewer inns, but has a variety of shops and a thriving community of artists, crafts people and potters, whose talents are linked to the very fabric of the town itself.
Built in 1830 by John Ballamy The Plymouth Inn was the last Public House to be built in Moretonhampstead and remained in the Ballamy family for over 70 years.
John was also a wheelwright, a trade often associated with inn-keeping, and hooks for tethering horses are still visible at the rear of the property. The Inn was ideally situated in Court Street for trade passing over the moors between Exeter, Tavistock and Plymouth. It is believed that there have been at least four Plymouth Inn signs, the last one remaining can be found hanging in the Courtyard.
The top end of the courtyard is the likely location of the wheelwright business; the original access from Court Street is still in existence via the large white doors to the right of the property. A large granite stone to the rear of the entrance is still in situ and would have protected the edge of the building from carriage/wagon wheels.
The Plymouth Inn closed as a public House in 2003 and was purchased by Ken & Sue Harrison in October 2007; who then over the next 18 months went through a thorough renovation of the property, forming two self catering holiday apartments at the rear.
In May 2014 the property and business was purchased by the current owners Will & Kate.